Below is a list of older research and projects that have been completed by the Realities Lab team.
H.E.R.O is a virtual reality training tool created for Haskell. This tool was created so employees could be trained and tested on work site hazards. Created for the HTC Vive Pro VR headset.
We are happy to announce our continued work with Haskell. With H.E.R.O 3.0, we have optimized the project so it could be ported to the “Oculus Quest” stand-alone headset. This now allows for virtual on-site training without the need for a high-end PC.
Moon Dust is a collaborative project with the Kennesaw’s College of Performing Arts. With their dancers and our visuals we are creating a mixed reality dance performance. Premiered January 30th, 2020
Kennesaw VR Theater
Kennesaw VR Theater is a virtual recreation of the Kennesaw State Theater to introduce users to VR. In this space the user can learn common virtual movement to collect KSU coins and view the mo-cap performance on the stage of a theater.
VR Mini Golf
VR Mini Golf was created by the lab to present basic VR interactions to people touring the lab.
Ar Pets is a Augmented Reality game where the player can take care of a virtual pet, raise their attributes, and play games.
Kinect Sparks was a protect to create interactive particle effects using the Microsoft Kinect and your own body.
Below is all published research that has been produced in partnership with the Realities lab.
- Mono-Stereoscopic Camera in a Virtual Reality Environment: Case Study in Cybersickness, Michael Isaza, Jingjing Zhang, Karis Kim, Chao Mei and Rongkai Guo, In 2019 11th International Conference on Virtual Worlds and Games for Serious Applications (VS-Games).
- Pre-Service Elementary Teachers Using Augmented Reality to Learn about Force and Motion, Rosengrant, D., Patel, D., & Guo, R., 2019 International Society for Technology in Education Conference Proceedings.
- Towards Joint Attention Training for Children with ASD – A VR Game Approach and Eye Gaze Exploration, C Mei, BT Zahed, L Mason, J Quarles, IEEE Virtual Reality 2018.
- Recreating Virtual Environments From User Traffic Patterns, N Murphy, D Patel, D Savas, D Martin, C Mei, R Guo, 2018 10th International Conference on Virtual Worlds and Games for Serious Applications.
- Enable an Innovative Prolonged Exposure Therapy of Attention Deficits on Autism Spectrum through Adaptive Virtual Environments, C Mei, R Guo, 10th International Conference on Virtual Worlds and Games for Serious Applications.
- 3D Digital Training of a High-Risk Environment: A Case Study of an Industry-Academia Partnership for Improved Learning, J Preston, J Chastine, R Guo, In EdMedia+ Innovate Learning, pp. 17-26. Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), 2017.
- Towards usable underwater virtual reality systems R Costa, R Guo, J Quarles, 2017 IEEE Virtual Reality (VR), 271-272.
- Towards understanding the differences of using 3d auditory feedback in virtual environments between people with and without visual impairments, M Dong, H Wang, R Guo, 2017 IEEE 3rd VR Workshop on Sonic Interactions for Virtual Environments.
- Augmented Reality exhibits of constructive art: 8th annual 3DUI Contest, R Guo, RP McMahan, B Weyers, 2017 IEEE Symposium on 3D User Interfaces (3DUI), 253-253.
- Promote Inquiry-Based Linear Algebra Conceptual Learning Using Mobile Devices with Collaborative Augmented Reality (CAR), R Guo, C Mei, Y Wu, M Puckett, K Qian, Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science: Proceedings of The World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2016, 19-21 October, 2016, San Francisco, USA, pp259-262 (Selected as Certificate of Merit for International Conference on Education and Information Technology 2016).
- Towards understanding the capability of spatial audio feedback in virtual environments for people with visual impairments, M Dong, R Guo, 2016 IEEE 2nd Workshop on Everyday
- Mei, C. (Principal Investigator), “Adaptive Virtual Environments for a Prolonged Exposure Therapy of Attention Deficits on Autism Spectrum” Funding source: National Science Foundation (NSF), Requested: $ 174,498.00, Approved: $ 174,498.00 (Apr 2019 – Apr 2021).
- Guo, R. (Principal Investigator), “CRII: CHS: Towards Understanding the Capability of Spatial Audio Feedback in Virtual Environments for People with Visual Impairments,” Sponsored by NSF, $169,497.00. (May 2016 – May 2019).
- Li, J (Principal Investigator), Mei, C. FY20 OVPR Pilot/Seed Grants: Affective Gaming System using Virtual Environment for Depression Detection” Funding source: Kennesaw State University, Requested: ~$15,000, Approved: ~$15,000 (Aug 2019 – Aug 2020).
- Mei, C. (Principal Investigator), OVPR Pilot/Seed Grants: Self-adaptive Virtual Reality System for ASD Joint Attention Therapy Funding source: Kennesaw State University, Requested: $15,000, Approved: $15,000. (Aug 2017 – Aug 2018).
- Guo, R. (Principal Investigator), FY 17 OVPR Pilot/Seed Grant to Attract External Funding (“OVPR Grant”) “Promote inquiry-based math and CS conceptual learning using mobile devices with collaborative augmented reality,” Sponsored by Kennesaw State University, $11,752 (August 2016 – August 2017).
- Guo, R. (Principal Investigator), OVPR Grant “Towards Understanding And Developing Virtual Environments To Increase Accessibilities For Persons With Visually Impairments,” Sponsored by Kennesaw State University, $10,000.00. (August 2015 – August 2016).
Submitted for Funding
- Guo, R. (Co-PI), Rosengrant, David (Co-PI), NSF ITest 2019 Careers & Culture using Augmented Reality for Interactive Labs in STEM: C2ARIL-STEM, Submitted Aug 2019, Requested $585,683.92 for KSU, Total Requested for two sites ~$1.3M, Pending.
- Mei, C.(Co-PI), Zhang, C.(Co-PI) Collaborative Research: NSF INCLUDES Alliance: The Alliance for Persons with Disabilities in STEM (TAPD-STEM), KSU as subawardee, Submitted April 2019, KSU site Requested $251,214.44, Pending.
- Mei, C.(Co-PI), Worthy, R.(Co-PI) Collaborative Research: NSF INCLUDES Alliance: The Alliance for Persons with Disabilities in STEM (TAPD-STEM), Submitted April 2018, Requested $1,515,118, Denied.
- Mei, C.(PI), CHS: Small: Collaborative Research: Adaptive Virtual Environments for a Prolonged Exposure Therapy of Attention Deficits on Autism Spectrum, Submitted Nov 2017, Requested $300,815, Denied.
- Guo, R. (Co-PI), Rosengrant, David (Co-PI), Spencer Foundation Small Grant Proposal, Project I-VASE. Submitted May 2017, Denied.
- Guo, R. (Co-PI), Qian, C. (Co-PI), Han, S. (Co-PI), NSF S$CC-Planning: Towards a VR based Smart Community for People w/ Visual Impairments. Submitted Feb 2017, Requested $28,939, Denied.
- Guo, R. (Co-PI), Mei, C. (Co-PI), Qian, K (Co-PI), Wu, Y. (Co-PI), NSF IUSE Collaborative Research: CAR for Linear Algebra Education, Submitted Nov 2016, Requested $188,169, Denied with all “Good” Rate Review.
- Guo, R. (Co-PI), Max, N (Co-PI), Seyed, V. (Co-PI), DOD Dynamic Immersive Visualization to Enhance Training Techniques for Complex Simula, Submitted Sep 2016, Requested $292,594, Denied.
- Guo, R (Co-PI), Wasim, B. (Co-PI), NSF REU Site: 3D Virtual Environments for Learning, Submitted Aug 2015, Requested $41,844 for KSU, Denied.